About a month ago, I turned 25. It was definitely a thought provoking birthday as now I’ve been around for a quarter of a century. Inspired by my birthday, here are 25 things (in no particular order) I’ve learned in 25 years.
1. People will come and go in your life. Treasure the time you did have with them and move on. Don’t let their absence make you bitter.
2. Believe in yourself. Don’t give up on your dreams, no matter how many times people reject you.
3. There’s no greater love than God’s. He is always there, even when it feels like no one else is.
4. Grace is important. As cliche as it may seem, forgive and forget. We will all be happier in life if we don’t hold grudges.
5. Whatever you do in life, do it well and make sure it makes you happy. Life is too short to be miserable.
6. Take time to notice the simple and beautiful things in life. The world around us is truly amazing.
7. Tomorrow is another day. Remember, no feeling is ever final.
8. Sometimes God has a different plan for your life than you do. And that’s ok. You’ve got to learn to trust Him.
9. Go outside your comfort zone every once in a while. Try new things. Take risks. Go on adventures. You might surprise yourself.
10. Take responsibility for your actions. No one likes a coward or a liar.
11. Nothing ever stays the same. You’ve got to adapt to change and it can be a good thing if you let it.
12. Never miss an opportunity to say I love you to someone. As a quote from Friends says… “It’s always great when someone tells you they love you.”
13. A positive attitude will take you far in life. Negativity will only hinder you.
14. Cherish the ones you love most. Don’t ever take them for granted; they might not always be around.
15. Smile often. And laugh a lot. Laughter really is the best medicine.
16. Be proud of who you are. God made me and you beautiful. Never let anyone tell you differently.
17. Be kind to everyone you meet. You’d be surprised how little acts of kindness can make a big difference to someone, even a stranger.
18. Work hard but play harder. Don’t let your job consume your whole life. Find a good balance between work and your personal life because trust me, you’ll cherish time with loved ones more than time behind your desk.
19. Don’t ever settle for anything less than you deserve. Respect yourself to only take the best.
20. It’s okay to splurge every once in a while on those new pair of shoes (or whatever your preference may be). You deserve to spoil yourself occasionally.
21. Family doesn’t just mean you share the same blood.
22. You’ve got to work hard for the things you want in life. Nothing is ever handed to you on a silver platter.
23. Always be thankful for what you have. Life isn’t a competition and the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
24. Prayer is a powerful tool. Like Philippians 4:6 says, “don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.”
25. Life isn’t going to be perfect, learn from your mistakes. They will ultimately make you a stronger person.